As we enter 2009, do you have a PLN? You need one. We all do. No matter what profession we are in, we need to grow and develop our minds. We need to collaborate and tap into the wisdom of others to experience new perspective and challenge our own ideas. Sometimes we don't even realize how limited a perspective we have until we are challenged by others.
PLNs are founded on collaboration and networking...a core component of the Web 2.0. Does the web define our culture or reflect it? I won't go down this road today but probably a little bit of both.
If you are looking for places to begin building your PLN, check out some of these links:
- The 2008 EduBlog Awards might be a good place to look. They rank some of the best blogs in different areas and will also have links to others ones you may want to follow.
- Free Technology Resources for Teachers won an award on the site above. I just ran across it about a week or so ago. I haven't checked it out much yet but may write more about it later.
- You have to pay for some of the ASCD resources, but they do email updates that link to various news and information.
- TED.com has "Ideas Worth Spreading" on their site. They update videos regularly...some are more recent than others. I have found some interesting and thought-provoking presentations on there. Presentations are usually 20 minutes or less.
- Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach has some good resources on her blog.
- The Partnership for 21st Century Skills
Perhaps you have a PLN, but haven't used the term. Be intentional to professionally grow yourself. Develop your PLN in all areas of your life...not just education or technology. I hope you will continue to find productive resources here as we get into 2009.