Friday, October 2, 2009

Web 2.0 Impact

I was recently pointed to a website that features a new show:


I found it interesting and applicable to our IB Theory of Knowledge (TOK) students. However, I also found myself reflecting on the sheer number of reality TV shows and their popularity. I have to wonder if it's not a reflection of Web 2.0 impact. Web 2.0 took sharing and transparency to a new level that is felt throughout our society. Whether it is reality TV shows, iTunes courses put online for anyone to participate, or a Harvard course turned into a TV series, transparency and the display of the process (not just the outcome) are infiltrating our lives. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it is a bad thing. It shines a light on many areas but it can bring out some spiders along the way. In many ways Web 2.0 reflects culture but perhaps these technology leaps are also culture shapers. What came first, was it the chicken or the egg?

No comments:

Post a Comment